The SCRC runs a Journal Club from fall through spring every year. It is a great learning opportunity for trainees at our centre. We meet most Fridays. Please find the schedule for the Journal Club series below. You will notice we will have some invited speakers in addition to trainees. Please, note our new time and location – beginning Mar. 22 it is back to noon to 1pm Fridays in room 431 BMSB. For our two remaining guest speakers, they will be at 11am to noon in room 405 of Brodie Centre.
In our view the main objectives of having a journal club are:
- Develop and hone critical thinking skills.
- Develop a breadth of knowledge in the sciences related to spinal cord injury.
- Creating a platform for the trainees and PIs to interact and get to know some possible collaborators.
To meet these objectives, and increase the possibility of interaction we thought of tweaking the format. The presentation should be about a recent journal article or more relevant to the students’ project. When presenting a paper, questions that can be addressed by the student are:
- Why this paper is of interest?
- How is this paper relevant to your project?
- What did this paper add to the field?
- What are the shortcomings of the work?
- What can be done differently or be the next step from this paper?
- The presenter can use the paper to segue into their own data and techniques.
The journal club may be used to present data to get feedback on the direction of their work or alternative understanding of their results if the need arises.
It is expected of each trainee to be prepared to present in their allotted time. In case of unavoidable circumstances, trainees can arrange to switch their scheduled talks with another presenter and inform us of any changes as soon as possible.
Schedule for this year (subject to change): PDF version of schedule
See individual upcoming or past SCRC Journal Club events in our event calendar.
Email addresses for participants can be obtained from the co-ordinators, Mona Nazzal and Katinka Stecina. Please notify co-ordinators when arranging to switch your scheduled time slot with another participant.
The SCRC Journal Club is one of several Seminar Series offered to our trainees.