Spinal Cord Research Centre


We receive a lot of e-mail from visitors to our site. Please help us to deal with your questions more efficiently, by following the advice given below for the nature of your enquiry.

[ Donations | Clinical/Medical | Employment | Graduate Studies | Personnel | Research | Phone | Postal | Software | Web Site ]

Donation Enquiries

If you would like to support spinal cord research at the University of Manitoba, we would gratefully receive any donations. Please see our Donations page for details.

Clinical/Medical Enquiries

Please note: For legal and ethical reasons, we are unable to provide professional medical advice via electronic communication about the diagnosis, management, or prognosis of disease in specific individuals.

U.S. residents can consult our list of American Organizations providing referral information on S.C.I. research and rehabilitation.

Canadians seeking treatment should forward their enquiries through their local health care providers.

Visitors are invited to browse through the SCRC's list of Spinal Cord Injury and other Disability Resources for answers to many common questions about S.C.I. and information on coping with disabilities. Questions about neurology, and treatment of other medical conditions, can also be submitted to the medical experts at allexperts.com.

The Spinal Cord Research Centre at the University of Manitoba is a research-based centre, not a treatment centre. We conduct mostly basic research in spinal cord physiology, pharmacology and pathology. While some of our members do conduct clinical research on spinal cord injured patients at the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the SCRC is not itself involved in treatment of spinal cord injury. You may read more about our completed and current clinical research projects in our Clinical Research pages.

Treatment for S.C.I. in Winnipeg is conducted by the HSC Rehabilitation Hospital's clinical SCI Unit. Manitoba patients seeking information on the SCI Unit's clinical research may contact the unit via Dr. Karen Ethans.

Employment and Graduate Studies Enquiries

Prospective students may be interested in the graduate studies programs offered by the University of Manitoba departments that make up the SCRC, namely: Physiology and Pathophysiology, Internal Medicine, the College of Rehabilitation Sciences, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Pathology, and the Faculty of Kinesiology & Recreation Management. For more information on graduate programs, contact the Graduate Program Coordinator of the department of interest. If you are unsure of which department to contact, you may first want to read up on the research of our principal investigators, to decide which area of research (and which department) interests you most.

Doctoral graduates who are interested in pursuing a postdoctoral fellowship under the supervision of researchers at the SCRC should contact Dr. Phillip F. Gardiner, SCRC director, for more information.

The SCRC is not currently recruiting employees for support staff positions. When job openings become available here, we will post an announcement on the SCRC News and Announcements page. Enquiries about employment opportunities can be sent to info@scrc.umanitoba.ca. If including a résumé, please send it as plain ASCII text, or as a MIME-encoded attachment of a WordPerfect or Microsoft Word document.

Personnel Enquiries

If you're looking for the phone number, mailing address, or e-mail address of an SCRC member, please try a search for the person's name on our faculty, staff and trainee directory for this information, or browse through our People page. University of Manitoba faculty or staff who are not SCRC members will not be listed there, but you can search for the person's name on UMinfo's People page. This page also features a selector for the search, to allow a search for students as well. Please try these search tools before contacting us to ask for someone's address.

Research Enquiries

Important information about clinical research protocols: Persons interested in participating in clinical trials or research should contact the health care authority in the province, state, or country in which they reside. All research is government-regulated for legal and ethical reasons and it is normally required that the subjects reside in the same province/state. We suggest that the links available from SCRC's list of Spinal Cord Injury and other Disability Resources may assist you in finding the agency that can best serve your interests.

Before submitting questions on the research we conduct here, we ask you to take the time to browse through our web site for the information you need. All the information we have for the general public is available on this site; we do not have any additional brochures or information packets to send out. However, feel free to print out any pages of information you find on our site that are of interest to you.

You'll find a wealth of information about our research on the pages describing our areas of expertise, where you'll find a brief synopsis of our investigators' research areas, and links to their more detailed research profiles. These profiles will also list their recent publications, which you can look up at your nearest medical library for more in depth knowledge of their research. The See Also section at the end of each profile also has a link to Search PubMed for publications by the researcher, where you can get abstracts of all the researcher's articles, and in some cases the full text of the articles. Our list of Online Journals can also help you find publications that are now available on the web, but note that many of these journals are accessible only by subscribers. Many of our more recent publications are also now available on-line on our web site, on our Research Publications page. Our site also has copies of several articles written about us which will give you more of a layman's overview of our research.

You can also search our web server for specific topics of interest by using the ht://Dig search engine on our site. If that doesn't find what you're looking for, it's probably not on our web site, and you may prefer to search the Internet at large for answers on other sites. For example, we get asked about scoliosis and spina bifida, which are conditions of the spine, and not the spinal cord. Such topics are best searched on other Internet Search Engines. With most search engines, spelling matters, so if your queries don't turn up the results you're hoping for, and you're uncertain of the correct spelling of your keywords, you may want to look them up in a medical dictionary or English dictionary first. You may also want to look up information on specific diseases or disabilities on the Family Village Specific Diagnoses Card Catalog. For more information, you can also find links to a vast number of related sites on our Internet Resources Guide for Neurosciences

For more details on the research of our principal investigators, enquiries can be sent to info@scrc.umanitoba.ca. Please be very specific in your requests for information.

SCRC Phone/FAX/Postal Enquiries

You may contact us by telephone at 204-789-3770. Faxes can be sent to 204-789-3934. Correspondance by courier or postal delivery can be sent to:

Spinal Cord Research Centre
University of Manitoba
409 BMSB, 745 Bannatyne Avenue,
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E 0J9, Canada

SCRC Software Enquiries

The SCRC markets a suite of Data Capture and Analysis Software for neurosciences, which runs on the Linux operating system. On-line documentation for this package (and other software we run) is available on our site. Enquiries about this package can be sent to www@scrc.umanitoba.ca.

Web Site Enquiries

Requests for additions, updates, corrections, suggested improvements, and other maintenance of this web site should be sent to the web site administrator, at www@scrc.umanitoba.ca. This mail will go to Gilles Detillieux, Systems Analyst with the Spinal Cord Research Centre. He's definitely not the person you want to ask about clinical matters.

© Copyright 2016 Spinal Cord Research Centre, University of Manitoba. All Rights Reserved.
Revised September 8, 2016.